For men and women, thinning hair presents challenges - both for finding a design that looks good and for some subtle disguise. For 2012 style options are almost limitless. Here are some of the best hairstyles for thinning hair to help your look as well give your hair a healthier, fuller feel!
While you might assume that thinning locks are restricted only to men, the truth is that many women also suffer from this genetic predisposition. This article guides you through what we believe are the best cuts to hide thinning areas and to allow a modern, healthy look!
- For men whose locks are growing finer on the top, try a short, tapered cut. This will visually minimize any loss that you may be having. This is reminiscent of a buzz cut, but not as short. Hey, if it worked for Matt Lauer on NBC's The Today Show, it will work for you!
- If you are balding primarily at the back of the head, slick back your locks like a 1920's gangster. Not only does this look very slick but it also projects a professional image. The goal is to not entirely hide balding, but to use a style that looks professional and helps cover thin spots.
- A popular and somewhat trendy hairstyle for men is the "faux hawk" or messy look. This is a great look for anyone that has advanced thinning at the temples. You can achieve this look by cutting the sides very short with them gradually getting longer and coming to a crest at the crown of your head. A little bit of hair gel, and a slightly messy look, and you're good to go; oh, and within reason, this hairstyle works well in professional, corporate settings too. It has become very popular.
- For women who want the best hairstyles for thinning hair, you need to go for a short look. A shorter cut will not weigh your locks down, and will put some bounce and fullness back into your image. Not only does a short cut make your locks look fuller, but it will allow strands to strengthen without the stress and weight of added length.
- Another great cut for super fine hair is the bob. The bob is a cut that is not layered and has blunt ends that fall at your jaw line. This will give the illusion of more fullness and thickness. You can also switch up this look with curls or angular bangs to give it a more modern feel.
- One of best styles for women with thinning hair is curls. Curly locks make it harder to see your scalp, therefore giving you full and bouncy look while providing a bit coverage. Do not go longer with this cut and limit the length to your shoulders. Cut shorter layers at the top and increase them in length and blunt the ends. Use a curling iron to put the coils in and you are done!
Whether you are a man or a woman, these are the best hairstyles for thinning hair. You do not have to be embarrassed by your ultra fine tresses any more, but rather modify your look to accommodate your locks and give the appearance of a thicker and lush head of hair.